Red hair is the most world’s most unique and talked about hair color. It is estimated that only 1 to 2 percent of the world has red hair, and with countless folk tales and modern-day stigmas about red heads, it’s hard not to let your eyes wander when you see a red-headed stranger.
Here are five interesting facts about red hair around the world.
1. Scotland has the highest percentage of red heads of any country, with red-haired people taking up roughly 14% of the population and 40% of the country carrying the red-hair recessive gene.
2. Natural red heads are rare in Asian countries but can be found in countries such as Israel, Turkey, and Kazakhstan.
3. Every year, “Redhead Day” – a festival that brings together thousands of red heads from around the world – takes place in the Netherlands. The festival includes art, games, and lectures about red hair.
4. During the middle ages, people with red hair were thought to be vampires.
5. Perhaps the most famous redhead in history is the Prophet Muhammad, who is believed to have had red hair. Because of this, some practicing Muslims dye their own hair red.